Monday, June 23, 2008

Hero!

My dad left for Iloilo on Thursday, and was supposed to be back on Saturday. Unfortunately, Typhoon "Frank" hit Iloilo on the very day that Papa was supposed to come home. And while I must admit that all objectivity is chucked out the window whenever I feel compelled to write about the extraordinary family that I was privileged to have been brought up in, in this case, my natural inclination to make the mundane mythic pales in comparison to the reality of my father's actions.

While his fellow passengers retreated grudgingly to whatever temporary lodgings that their tempers allowed them to seek out, my dad rescued a 67 year old lady suffering from pneumonia from the rooftop of a house in Sta. Barbara, Iloilo.

Upon hearing of my dad's superhuman efforts, my mother-in-law, Mima Dodie, suggested that perhaps that's why my father was stranded in Iloilo during Typhoon "Frank": there were some people who needed saving. We're glad to have him back safe and sound. Good work, Papa!

Note:

The photo above was not taken during my dad's heroic struggle, but it probably best reflects the nature of the service that he was able to render: Service, with a smile.

6 comments:

pots said...

You should hear Papa's blow by blow account of the rescue operations!

Scenting Asia said...

i feel great to know this hero :-)

Leah said...

Glad you all are safe and that your dad was so willing to help out others.

Anonymous said...

wow, your dad's so cool. :)

John-D Borra said...

Thanks to everyone who posted their comments on papa's bravery!

Loopy said...

That's a nice shot of Papa!