Tuesday, November 04, 2008

Juan on Juan: Discussing Reproductive Health (1)

Last night, we finally aired the first of our two-part series on reproductive health. While I would love to share some snippets from the spirited discussion I had with Carlos Celdran and Bob Guerrero, I don't think that I could do justice to the intelligence, compassion, and fervor that Carlos and Bob brought to the table.

I should inform the general public that Carlos and Bob graciously agreed to certain parameters prior to appearing on the show. Here's a portion of the media brief that I provided, almost cruelly, on the day of the show itself:
As opposed to doing what mainstream media normally does regarding important issues, we will not debate or discuss HB 5043 (Reproductive Health and Population Development Act of 2008). Rather, we will try to discuss, with as much intelligence, passion and humor as we can bring to bear on the issue, the following question:

As ordinary citizens, what can we do to encourage the development of a culture that encourages proper reproductive health?

You are not required to be an expert on reproductive health or the minutiae of HB 5043. In fact, it would be inimical to the intentions of the program for any of us to pretend to do so, should either the expertise or the humility to accept a lack of expertise be absent in the parties concerned. However, I am expecting you, for better or worse, to be yourselves. Please act naturally. In fact, I would like to encourage you to relate your insights on proper reproductive health to your profession, vocation, or personal advocacy.

Once again sirs, my heartfelt thanks. Despite my ineptitude, you helped elevate my rather pedestrian little program into something akin to art.

Next week, I'm inviting some ordinary people who advocate the opposing view: that HB 5043 should not pass into law. It should be good viewing as well.

Juan on Juan is a live television talk show that seeks to provide the ordinary, but otherwise intelligent and well-meaning individual with an opportunity to offer his or her insights regarding real-life concerns. This show is neither for the influential nor the powerful. Rather, it's for everyJuan.

ZOE TV is currently being operated by Studio 26 Productions, with offices at the 22F, Strata 200 Building, Emerald Avenue, Ortigas Center, Pasig.

3 comments:

HappiHappi said...

Johnd's wish I was able to see your show. Any way it would ever end up on youtube? ;P

petrufied said...

Hi there John-D!!! I saw your show :-) I can't wait to see next week's episode.

John-D Borra said...

Hey, if there's anyone who's willing to leak the episodes on YouTube, I'd love to get my hands on them! ;-)

Let's wait and see...