Monday, October 13, 2008

Acquired Tastes: Invincible Iron Man by Matt Fraction

There's been a lot of spirited debate on the RH Bill, but while I try to articulate a thoughtful reply to some interesting posts, let me share the sheer awesome fun that is Matt Fraction's run on Invincible Iron Man.

Longtime readers would not be unfamiliar with my unabashed admiration for the sequential art genius that is Matt Fraction. He is responsible for my rediscovery of Immortal Iron Fist, Thor, and one could say, comics in general. While some comic auteurs are noted for their intellectual approach to comic books as art, Matt Fraction takes, I suspect, a deliberately different approach in telling stories. While he is justly famed for his uncanny sense for characterization and dialogue, not enough has been said about his ability to re-imagine how comic book stories should unfold. His sense of what works in comic books is very similar to David Bordwell's use of the fabula and syuzhet in discussing narration in film. Fraction is always aware of the need to create a seamlessly unique and entertaining comic book reading experience; as such he always makes sure that his "plot" is best served by the "story as told".

Of course, to intellectualize Fraction needlessly is to miss the point. Fraction is good reading. So, read him!

Photo Credits:

Picture of Invincible Iron Man comes courtesy of Marvel Comics.

Addendum:

After reading my final paragraph, particularly the sentence "Fraction is good reading", I realized that by unifying both Math and pop culture I may have inadvertently bent the laws of grammar beyond all repair. I don't care. Fraction is good reading!

2 comments:

ella said...

wow, great art!

John-D Borra said...

I would never advocate piracy, but I suppose great stuff like this would be available as a torrent. ;-)