Monday, March 12, 2007

Acquired Tastes: Not David Caruso!


As my last class didn't end quite the way I expected it to, not quite the definition of tragedy, but definitely somewhere along the definition for exasperation, I decided to post a quickie. So soon after my parenthetical reference to the cheesy acting machine that is David Caruso, here comes an unconfirmed anecdote courtesy of Wikipedia:

"On an episode of the Late Show with David Letterman that aired on March 8, 2007 comedian Jim Carey satirically impersonated Caruso. Carey asked for an 'intense close up' from the camera, spoke in a deep voice and put sunglasses on. Paul Schaffer and the Late Night Band played the CSI: Miami theme and Carey ran off screen."

Is there a hammier actor than David Caruso? He isn't even a cool, one-trick, pop culture phenomenon like the wonderful William Shatner, his almost corpulence Alec Baldwin, or even the German pop sensation David Hasselhoff. He's just an annoying one-trick pony, whose distinguishing characteristic is an inability to stop acting for an Emmy while delivering unforgettable lines such as "Miami style", or while gathering epithelials.

Annoying!

Oh well. That felt good. Cathartic, even. Thanks, David Caruso!


Picture of David Caruso comes courtesy of The fame and glory of David Caruso: a fan page. Is there a more stinging indictment of the mediocrity that is David Caruso? Just check out the fan page above. Fantastically bitter stuff here. I swear...

2 comments:

HappiHappi said...

I watch all the CSI shows - love them. I agree the Miami version of over the top, but so is Miami. It's a very drama infused, party city. Very over the top with everything, so it is fitting that his character also be that way. I saw in a behind the scenes show that they have like a 100 paits of those sunglasses for him. I thought it was funny.

John-D Borra said...

So over the top I secretly enjoy it, I think. :-)